Answers to Your Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve provided you with the answers to some of your most frequently asked questions. For more information about these and other questions you may have, please feel free to view our student handbook.

What steps does SCVUHS District take to ensure that my child is safe during school hours?

The safety of every student in our district is extremely important to us. Therefore, the district has a zero tolerance policy toward the following infractions that occur on or around school property or during any school-sponsored activity:

  • Weapons, including the use or possession of dangerous instruments and explosive devices
  • Tobacco/drug/alcohol related offenses
  • Assault
  • Fighting
  • Obscenity/profanity toward adults
  • Extortion, intimidation
  • Threatening and/or compromising the health or safety of others including jokes, innuendos, and/or inferences that threaten the safety of the school community
  • Destruction of property/tagging
  • Bullying, harassment

The above infractions may result in out-of-school suspension and recommendation for a discipline hearing. These are only examples. Other serious misconduct and most second offenses may be given similar treatment.

Back to Top

Can students leave campus for lunch?

Santa Cruz has a closed campus, which means students may not leave during the lunch hour. The exceptions are half-day students (those that work or go to Central Arizona College for study) and students whose parents physically come in and check them out.

Back to Top

Is it okay to bring to friend to school?

Because we want to maintain an environment that is serious and non-distractive, we ask that students do not bring visitors to classes. This includes young children and friends from other schools or from out of town/state/country. A visible ID worn on a lanyard will identify students.

Back to Top

Are SCVUHS students allowed to carry cell phones and other electronic devices at school?

Many students want to have the privilege of carrying electronic devices on campus. With the privilege comes the responsibility of ensuring that students do not use those items in the classroom. We acknowledge that cell phones, iPods, and other electronic devices are part of everyday life. However, we require that students turn them off and store them out of sight between 8:00 a.m. and 2:55 p.m. (except during lunch hour). These items, along with radios, laser pens, water guns, and toys are disruptive to the educational process. If a student’s electronic device, toy, etc. disrupts the educational process or creates any classroom disturbance, one in authority may confiscate the item and turn it in to the office.

Laser pens, water guns, water balloons, toys, etc. are considered contraband, and we do not allow them at any time.

Additional infractions may result in our returning the item to a parent/guardian. The school district is not responsible for lost, damaged, or stolen items or property.

The district also prohibits picture-taking and videotaping without consent, including, but not limited to, the use of camera phones, digital cameras, and video cameras.

Back to Top

What should I do if I miss a day of school?

Productivity decreases when employees are not on the job. Absenteeism is of high concern among employers, and many times, poor attendance is the reason for termination. Most applications ask for the number of days an employee has missed in the previous year. Equally, there is a close relationship between academic success and school attendance. Good attendance habits learned and developed in school will carry over into the world of work.

If you must be absent, you must present the proper document to the office upon your return to school. We will excuse absences for reasons that include medical, court, or funerals. Please read the student handbook for more detailed information regarding student absences.

Back to Top

What is the district policy regarding tardiness?

The most common reason for job termination is tardiness. It is an interruption for others when people arrive late to work, to social functions, and to school. We're all expected to be on time and will be for the rest of our lives. To reinforce lifelong habits, we expect our students to arrive to school and to class on time.

  • After 30 minutes, we consider a student absent.
  • Three (3) tardies = parental contact
  • Four (4) tardies = parental contact and intervention meeting with an administrator
  • Five (5) tardies and beyond = parental contact and student placed on non-credit status

We will only excuse tardies if the school bus is late.

Back to Top

Does SCVUHS District have a uniform policy?

Policies that require and define dress are becoming prevalent among Arizona businesses. As with any business, Santa Cruz wants students to follow the required dress code which is a modified uniform.

We expect students to wear:

  • Blue denim jeans, skirts, or shorts must not be shorter than 3” above the knee.
  • White or gray polo shirt or sweatshirt. Please limit logos on polo shirts to one (1) inch in height and width and restrict them to the upper left chest area.
  • Shoes cannot be solid red, blue, or brown nor can shoelaces be red, blue, or brown.
  • Slippers and house shoes are not to be worn on campus during school hours.
  • Jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, or undershirts must be white, gray, or black with no lettering except “Santa Cruz.” We prohibit anything that has profanity, obscenities, sex, drugs, weapons, tobacco, logos, or any inappropriate language or symbols.

Additionally, we expect:

  • Students’ heads may not be covered by hats, stocking caps, hairnets, hoods of jackets, etc.
  • Students may not display bandanas of any color.

Contingencies for students who choose not to dress according to the uniform code:

  • We will call parents to bring their child the required “uniform” pants, shorts, skirt, or shoes.
  • If parents cannot bring the correct attire, the student will have to purchase an appropriate shirt from the bookstore.
  • In the case of pants or shoes, we will assign the student to ISS or an isolated office area for the day. We may send students home which will result in an unexcused absence.
  • We will turn hats and stocking caps into the office and return them to the student at the end of the school day. We will discard hairnets and bandanas.
  • In cases of additional infractions, we will return the item only to a parent or guardian.

P.E. and varsity band students must be in school uniform dress before and after class.

Back to Top

Does SCVUHS hold dances?

Yes, we hold dances throughout the year on the campus or at an approved off-campus site. School rules apply, and we require students to wear their IDs. Guest passes are available in the front office for Homecoming and Prom.

Back to Top

Do students in the district have access to computers at school?

Yes, and we are very serious about the student's responsibility to use them with good judgment and according to district standards. Students must consider the computer at school as a business computer. Absolutely nothing on the computer is personal or sacred. The Technology Department monitors how students use the computers. All students may access the internet unless a parent expressly denies it in writing to the school district.

Back to Top

What if a student is struggling in the traditional school setting?

The Santa Cruz Valley Union High School District offers an alternative school that meets from 3:00 to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Students may choose to attend, or the administration, a hearing officer, or the governing board may assign the student due to behavior, attendance, or academic issues. See your counselor for details.

Back to Top

Does the district provide bus transportation to and from school?

Yes, our students are welcome to ride the “yellow Cadillac.” Please understand that it is a privilege to do so, and we expect students to  follow all rules of bus safety. Please visit the Transportation Department page for more information.

Back to Top

Is campus parking available if a student wants to drive to school?

Yes, but space is limited, and parking is assigned on a first come, first served basis. We hope you will "think carpool." If you choose to drive to school, you must obtain a parking permit. When requesting a parking permit, you must present the following documents:

  • Copy of registration
  • Copy of your driver’s license
  • Copy of proof of insurance

Back to Top

What is the grading policy at Santa Cruz?

At SCVUHS, we expect the mastery of academic skills. Students must demonstrate satisfactory performance by earning a C (70%) or above in each class to receive credit.

  • 90% or above - Grade A
  • 80%–89% - Grade B
  • 70%–79% - Grade C
  • 69% or below - No Credit (NC)

Colleges and universities have a similar policy: No Ds or Fs transfer, and students must have a C average or better to graduate. Teachers are available before and after school or by appointment to assist students that are having difficulty. Students should make an appointment with their teacher when they are experiencing trouble.

Classes taken by current students off-campus (summer school, other sites, correspondence, etc.) must have 70% or better to be eligible for credit in any class. Courses with a grade below 70% may be retaken for grade improvement.

Back to Top

What recognition do you give to highly achieving students?

We hold student achievement in the highest regard at SCVUHS. We reward students with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 and above with academic letters, and we give bars for subsequent years to those who earn this honor multiple times. Following each semester, we recognize honor roll, perfect attendance, and other achievements, and we hold a school-wide honors assembly at the end of the year to celebrate academic success. Additionally, we award medals, stoles, and/or cords to graduating seniors earning high academic achievement.

Back to Top

Is there a counselor available to help students?

Guidance Department services are designed to serve the needs of individual students. The counselors are available to help students in the preparation of academic schedules or course adjustments, long-range school programs, and technical, career, or college planning. The counselor can help with scholarship and financial aid information as well as enrichment programs, opportunities offered during the summer, and personal problems.

Back to Top