Hello Santa Cruz Dust Devil Families,
I sincerely hope that you and your loved ones are healthy, happy, and safe during this unconventional summer break which has followed an unexpected closure of our schools due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our Santa Cruz Valley Union High School District administrative cabinet has been working hard to create a safety-oriented, comprehensive, and reasonable plan for re-opening school that focuses on providing multiple options that will enable us to readily adapt to changes in the pandemic situation and still continue to provide an excellent education program for our students. It is my hope that we will be able to present this plan to the governing board and community for consideration within the next several weeks. All recommendations within the plan will promote a positive beginning to the school year including:
- A safe and supported return to our school campus.
- Measures to promote the health and social-emotional well-being of our students, staff, and families.
- Multiple options for educating our students including on-campus classes, online learning options, and a hybrid option to address the possible changing needs of our students, staff, and families and to keep everyone safe if the pandemic data deteriorates for our community.
Listed below are some of the actions we have planned or are already taking on our campus to protect our students, staff, families, and community:
- Installation of hand sanitizer dispensers in every classroom, office, and facility.
- Planning for student and staff training on health and safety protocols.
- Deep cleaning, sanitizing, and regular disinfection of high touch surfaces on campus.
- Signage is being prepared for posting throughout the campus with health and safety reminders.
- Limiting the number of volunteers and/or visitors on campus.
- Developing and implementing communication protocols regarding COVID-19 cases, should this be needed.
- Working to have learning supports in place to meet the needs of all Santa Cruz Dust Devil students.
- We will be asking parents to daily determine their child/children’s health status before they arrive at school and requesting that they keep their child/children home should they present with symptoms.
- Transportation (buses) will continue to operate with safety measures implemented.
Please know that we will be in frequent communication with you throughout the summer to ensure that you have all the information you need, as soon as possible, to support a positive return to our school campus for the 2020–2021 school year. As we all know, COVID-19 and the guidelines in place at the state and national level are still changing. We will continue to be in contact with the appropriate authorities and agencies to ensure that we have the most up-to-date information to inform our decision making. Our goal remains to continue to educate all of our students to a high standard while promoting the health, safety, and emotional well-being of our students, staff, and the wider community.
Thank you all for your continued support of our Santa Cruz Dust Devil Nation.
Orlenda F. Roberts